Friday, August 24, 2012

We have bugs! (No, the good kind!)

So the other day, we were on our way out and Mr. Mister spotted one of these hanging out in front garden bed.


In case you didn't know, 5 year old boys love caterpillars. 

Apparently, 30-something year old men do too since Jon quickly swooped in to check it out. Within minutes, he had brought it in the house and put it in a container. Shaking my head, I got in my vehicle and continued my day.

It wasn't until later that evening that I got interested in the little crawly that Jon had stowed on top of a shelf.

Mostly because of this.



In case you can't tell, that is the same caterpillar.  In chrysalis form.  That red and black knobby looking critter decided to start his transformation here. 

I'm in awe.  This picture does NOT do it justice. This thing is gorgeous. 

But it doesn't end there.  Jon found another caterpillar of the same variety and brought it in too.


Bam! Another chrysalis.  

So I guess as an end of summer project, we're raising butterflies.  Variegated fritillaries to be exact.  And it looks like we'll get to see them soon since apparently it only takes 10ish days for them to emerge from the chrysalis.  

Um, I am excited.  

It's times like this that I'm glad that I married someone who knows a bit about entomology.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...