Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Oobleck!


Do you remember this book?  Cause I don't.  I mean, I read as much Dr. Seuss as the next kid growing up... And now, even.  But I really don't remember this one.

But after finding out that a local preschool has used this book to help gain an interest in science in the class, I've decided I must order this book.  Or check it out, at the very least.

However, my impatience got the better of me and I did some research to see how on Earth this book related to preschool science.  Of course, the answer was right under my nose. 

Oobleck!  This particular teacher had her students making Oobleck. Which is simply cornstarch and water. I bet you remember that experiment!  Once I figured that out, I knew I had to make some Oobleck of my own to give to the kids.

After all, nothing gets my heart pounding like Non-Newtonian fluids.  And apparently, the kids felt the same way!




The boys LOVED it.  Especially my youngest.  He spent the better part of an hour with his hands in that bucket.

Who needs toys?

Wanna make your own "Oobleck?"  It's easy. Mix one part water to two parts cornstarch.  In this case, we did 2 cups of cornstarch and 1 cup of water.  It made the perfect amount for two little boys to get messy.  And the best part?  It rinses away easily with water!

I just love easy clean up!

Until next time, Happy Tuesday!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...